Monday, March 26, 2012

When hype is just good common sense...

So most people in the world (at least the world of people with Facebook accounts) know the Hunger Games movie premiered this weekend. I was very antsy to finish yet another business trip and get home and see it on Saturday night.

I loved it. I mean, I LOVED it. In terms of adaptations, it was truer to the book than most, capturing all of the excitement, and even more of the nuances of the plot than I thought possible.

I also love movies that carry a great deal of expectation, and the excited buzz an audience gets as they wait through previews. But during my exciting buzzing, I heard an exchange between the women behind me that just frustrated me.

I guess these women were parents of kids desperate to see the movie, and one was saying to the other how pathetic all of the hype is, because "you know half of these kids haven't even read the book!"

Ummm... so what? Why is it wrong to see a movie when  you haven't read the book?

Oh, and remember how Harry Potter made reading cool again? Shouldn't we CELEBRATE the movies that get kids excited to read books? Is that just the writer in me talking, or what? I think hyped up movies that get kids to read books are cool.

What do you think?

And what hyped up movies could we make to get kids reading? My top two-- Ender's Game and Paranormalcy. (Well, and Max and Menna, of course!)

What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. You've raised a good question here. Something worthwhile, and has to be considered..

    ReplyDelete