Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Insecure Writer's Support Group-- Today is the Day!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I stayed up entirely too late last night watching election results. I am bleary-eyed, but exhilerated this morning.

And I am ecstatic to finally be announcing that today is the day for the Don't Wake Up chart rush on Amazon. I have been working on this book five years. For any of you that write, you may be familiar with this internal discussion:

Day 1: "Wow, I started writing this thing and I think its actually pretty good."
1 hour later: "Why am I writing this? This is crap and no one will wI ant to read it."
1 hour later: "OK, not crap, but maybe I need to rework this."
1 hour later: "Why am I wasting my time? I am a no talent hack!"
1 hour later: "Wow, this might, like, win awards!"
1 hour later: "Where's that delete button? No, actually, how do I wipe my hard drive to ensure that it is REALLY gone?"

In the case of Don't Wake Up, this internal discussion has been going on for more than five years. And now, it is finally real, and the really bad insecurity takes over while I await the answer to the all important question: Will anyone like it?
Early review look promising (see them on Amazon) and I am hopeful. But I am starting to realize that the internal dialogue is a long way from ending.

Is confidence and the ability to turn our inner critics off (even temporarily) something that comes with age and maturity for a writer? Because, if so, this is book 2 and I seem to be a long way off! I guess I need to get writing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment