Friday, November 23, 2012

Recommendations for Friday Fun

Today, my recommendation is simple: Stay home! Unless you are one of the nut jobs that lives for Black Friday sales, in which case, enjoy the insanity!

To me, this Friday is always fun because it is the Friday where I start to fill my house with Christmas cheer. I love Christmas so much, and wait impatiently all year for this time to begin so I can indulge in one of my favorite activities-- gift giving! I love few things that delight me more than thinking of, procuring, wrapping, and giving those I love gifts.

So instead of my normal Friday Fun, for the next month, I want to honor some of my favorite gifts, those I have given and those I have received. And I would love for everyone else to share theirs as well! Here goes:

Last year, one of my very best friends was involved in a long term relationship. She missed the man who was a continent away, and was dealing with some tough issues here. I wanted to give her something that would make her laugh, so I assembled a collection of mini boyfriend tokens. For her love of Eric Northman, there was a bathroom window cling in his likeness. To address her adoration of the Battlestar Gallactica flight suit, there was a Lee Adama action figure. And just in case she needed more, I found a "Grow a Boyfriend" kit in Vegas that reminded me of sea monkeys. I was so excited to give it to her, and even more excited that I succeeded in making her laugh!

My mom was sort of infamous for giving bizarre presents. She shared my love of gift-giving, and about 70% of the time, she picked amazing gifts. The other 30% of the time... well, she once put tampons in my Easter Basket. The year she first got sick, she crocheted me this beautiful black and white shawl. I am so afraid something will happen to it that I almost never wear it. But she worked so hard on it and it was 100% my taste and I loved her for the effort, as well as for her excitement about it!


  1. Both of those gifts are wonderful! I don't think I'd be able to wear it either. My favorite gift received is probably the weekend trip to the Stanley Hotel, just hubby and I. It rocked on two spectrums: Stephen King fan and mom (who needed a couple nights away).

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. As the of the given gift, I can definitely say it was an AWESOME gift!

    I keep meaning to grow the boyfriend and send you and your former roommate a picture!