Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gobble Gobble!

To all of my U.S. friends, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. And for you International folks, well... Happy November Thursday!

In honor of today's theme, I am thankful for advice someone gave me four years ago. At the time, I was ending a relationship due to my partner's drug use. Simultaneously, it was very clear that my mother's fight with cancer ending, and it was not the end we'd hoped for. I had a family member with organ failure, a job that was intolerant of me taking time off, and an empty bank account. My life felt hopeless.

In the midst of all of this, one day I ducked into my co-workers' office, shut the door, and broke down. This wonderful woman listened while I cried. Finally, she said "When you are going through hell, keep going."

At the time, it seemed trite and useless advice. In fact, for three years the advice seemed so empty. Through a long and painful break up, the loss of my mother, the loss of my financial footing, and a great deal of miscellaneous strife, it seemed to me that her advice reflected naivete. In my mind, hell was life, and there was no "getting through it"- there was only enduring.

Somewhere between last Thanksgiving and this one, I stopped enduring and got through. Right now I am in a wonderful relationship with an amazing man working at a job I love. This year I finished my Master's degree, published my second novel, and started taking better care of myself. It was an odd feeling to wake up today and realize that I am thankful for everything. Four years ago I was in hell. I kept going, I got through, and I am currently blissfully happy.

Next year, I am hoping to share my thankfulness that I have finally gotten over the urge to knock on wood when I acknowledge how good things are!

And I am thankful for this amazing community of bloggers, writers, readers, and friends I get to be a part of. Your encouragement is such a huge part of why I have kept at this whole writing thing, and I hope I have been able to be a valuable contributor!

No comments:

Post a Comment