Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Travel Tuesday- The Wonders of Seattle

I think Seattle is perhaps one of the most misunderstood cities in the U.S. Since my last trip there (and I have been many, many times), I've been polling people to get their impressions. What I get: Seattle is a rainy haven for hippies and grunge musicians. Oh yeah, and they have good seafood.

Well, I am not going to deny that Seattle has its fair share of those who love granola, eat organic, and go to poetry slams. They are peaceful and calm, unless you put a recyclable in the trash can. But there is so much more to this city.

Seattle has a thriving business community, an amazing arts movement, and an undercurrent of the shared history of its very diverse population.I go to Pike Place Market every time I am in Seattle-- there is a bakery there that has the most amazing Apple Firtters I have ever tasted. I love looking at the flowers, and watching the people who work there. Something always strikes me: the loving, longing looks towards the Sound.

I've been to amazingly beautiful places, and seen so many locals immune to the awesomeness that surrounds them (Salt Lake City in particular struck me with this phenomenon). This is not Seattle though-- one of the most beautiful cities in the country, and its residents know and love it.

So I will forgive that hippie his dirty look if I didn't know my half eaten fritter went into the Compost bin and not Trash. If I lived in Seattle, I would be rabid about keeping it clean as well.

1 comment:

  1. I've always heard that Seattle is rainy. And yes, that they have good seafood. : )

    ReplyDelete