Friday, October 14, 2011

Horrors for Halloween-- Part Two

Continuing my love of the scary story, I turn my attention now to books... literature in fact! Henry James' The Turn of the Screw.

This is a ghost story...or a story about a crazy lady... or a ghost story... or.. umm... you decide? A bit of indecisiveness on my part doesn't change the fact that this book is legitimately creepy. It's also really short if you have a free evening and just want to be thoroughly creeped out.

So, here's how it goes. Governess #1 mysteriously dies (actually, it may not be mysterious, I don't actually remember, but regardlss), so Governess #2, our narrator, is persuaded to take a job governing two small childrens in a remote country house. Almost instantly, she starts to see the supposed spectre of a tall man following her about. More ghosts pop up as the Governess' hysteria grows.

If you haven't yet had the chance, it is well worth a few hours of your life. I just strongly suggest that you not acquaint yourself with story by way of a truly awful adaptation staring Valerie Bertinelli that is floating around out there.

If you're interested, check it out on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment