Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A to Z Challenge: My Favorite Storytellers-- C

C was an easy call for me in my April countdown of favorite storytellers, and it stands for...

Orson Scott Card
For you regulars, you know that my love of Ender's Game has become part of my identity. I read this book, on average, about once a year. I am able to do this both because the book is really, really good and pulls me in every time I open it, but also because it reminds me of a feeling, so full, and rich, and powerful, that I got the first time I read this book.

The feeling was "I want to write books that make people feel like this."

The feeling was infinite.

I've read at least 20 books by Card, some that I loved, some that were good, some that I didn't care for. He is a consistent and talented storyteller, but nothing will touch the sheer, visceral emotion behind Ender's Game. 

I'd recommend you buy it now!!

And then tell me, for you avid readers and writers, what was the first book that really got you hooked?

No comments:

Post a Comment