Friday, December 9, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

I am a Christmas junkie. I love it! I love giving gifts, baking cookies, hacking down a tree and moving it in my house. I am the girl of perpetual smiles at this time of year. More and more, however, I am looking around and realizing that my holiday glee simply isn't shared by all.

I've been told I am a good gift picker-outer, so I thought I would share over the next couple of blogs some of my recommendations for any story lovers on your list, should you be stumped. I've put together a store on Amazon that contains some of my favorite gifts here.

Your YA Book Lover:

Got a teen on your list you are just not sure what to buy for? If that teen loves to read, then I suggest one of three Lucky Press titles:

Guardian Spirit by Sarah Martin Byrd combines some beautiful myths with some harsh realities in this story of a woman and her children fleeing from an abusive man. According to reviews on Amazon:
"Within the story, Byrd masterfully entwines Native American magic with the steely reserve of a woman protecting her children, and creates a narrative that will have readers cheering, and hurriedly turning pages. I found this to be an engrossing, exciting read, and would highly recommend it to others."

My Beginning by Melissa Kline is the book for any budding sci-fi loving girls on your list. We're under-represented, us female nerds, and so I recommend nurturing it for the girl on your list. Reviews on Amazon:
"This book draws you in immediatley. The adventure and curiousity keeps you turning the pages. The anticipation of the ending made it difficult to put it down but the thought of it ending so soon made me want to slow down. I do hope for a sequel. Great read!"


And, of course, I have to self-promote a litte... it is my blog :)
 
Max and Menna by Shauna Kelley is my debut novel, about a brother and a sister struggling together against poverty, alcoholism, and neglect. Here's what Amazon readers say:
"Max and Menna went above and beyond my expectations. I just could not put the book down, reading into the late hours of the night, just to see what would happen next! It's a great story full of romance, courage, laughter, and heartbreak. I highly recommend this book!"
AND if you're in Maryland, I have copies I can sign for you!
 
Of course, I have to throw in Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card because I think EVERYONE should read that book...
 
And more gift giving ideas to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment