Friday, July 22, 2011

More on Cool Kid Melissa Kline

After much excited waiting, when Melissa Kline’s My Beginning landed in my hands, I literally giggled. In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve met Melissa because we both were published through Lucky Press, small publisher extraordinaire. We’ve developed an online camaraderie, and her personality and passion for writing made me so excited to read this book.


Adding to the excitement is that this book is right up my alley. Dystopian world? Sweet. Science fiction twist? Woohoo. Romantic story line that I will pretend to tolerate while really gushing over? Yes, please!

In all of these things, My Beginning did not disappoint. Imagine Battlestar Gallactica meets Never Let Me Go. A thoroughly excited read, and a truly fun story, I am happy to report that my excitement was not misplaced.

Melissa weaves the story of Ivory, raised in a stark and limiting Institution where free time, thought, and will are foreign concepts. Despite being forbidden to speak to the opposite sex, Ivory falls in love with Aiden (like you do when you’re 16), the mysterious new boy. The bond between the two forces them to seek out a new life and learn about life outside of the walls that have so oppressed them.

Melissa has captured the feeling of being 16 so well in Ivory that I literally found myself speaking aloud to her at times. Give it a read. You will be pulled in, for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Shauna, thank you so much for such a beautiful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed my book! I'm grateful for your friendship. :)

    Hugs,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete