Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Reading List... Number #1: How to Turn Off Your Mind

I, unfortuantely, have one of those jobs where a summer vacation is nearly impossible-- I am a spring/fall vacationer. Nonetheless, I always try and find myself on a beach here and there, book in hand. There is nothing more relaxing than summer reading. And so, I thought I would share a handful of book recommnedations for anyone who has time to focus on their summer reading.

So Book #1-- The fun, engaging read that will let you shut your mind down and focus on the surf

Dead to the World, by Charlainne Harris

I've read nearly every Sookie Stackhouse novel (for some reason I skipped the first). As someone who worships the literary greats like Margaret Atwood, John Irving, and Madison Smartt Bell, this feels like an odd choice, but these books are amazing for what they are-- pure, unpretensious entertainment.

The Sookie Stackhouse novels will surprise you, make you laugh, and (yes) at times make you groan and roll your eyes. But they will also pull you in and hold you in delightful anticipation.

This, the fourth novel, was by far my favorite and happens to coincide with this season of True Blood. Trubie or no, this is the ultimate beach read. And, you don't have to have read the first three books to jump in on number 4... BUT, I consumer each one of these books in about a day, so if you have the luxury of ten days at the beach, you may be able to get through the whole series and still have time for a BBQ and amusement park :)

No comments:

Post a Comment