Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Travel Tuesday- Pipestone, MN

Normally, my travel experiences are major cities-- since I travel for business, that is where the business usually is. However, this summer I had a unique, and as it turns out, wonderful opportunity to visit Pipestone, Minnesota.

My fiance's family is from a small town an hour or so away, and so while visiting, we decided to pay a nod to my Native American heritage and go to the Pipestone National Monument. A small park full of great information about the Native people of the region, we took a one hour walk and lots of pictures. Aside from about a billion bug bites, the trip was gorgeous and well worth the stop.

Aside from the monument, the city of Pipestone was also a great suprise to me. With a population of about 5,000, it is about 1/20 of the size of the cities I usually visit and yet we never ran out of stuff to do. Granted, we were only there a few days, but the downtown area is lined with great antique and thrift stores to explore. Dars Pizza will never best Joe Squared for me, but they serve up one heck of a slice.

And then, there is the pie. Langes, which looks like Any-Diner, USA from the outside... well, and the inside honestly, changed my perception of pie. It's a must-eat, for sure!

So if you're ever in southwestern Minnesota, stop by Pipestone. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment