Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Travel Tuesday... The odd things you see in hotels

Traveling for work effectively eliminates ones ability to be choosey about destination, which is how, in mid-June, I found myself under the 103 degree Tucson sun. Please don't misinterpret-- its not that I would opt not ever go to Tucson. In fact, I've wanted to do so for a very long time (its actually quite pretty). In February. Because I hate hot. And please don't say "its a dry heat!"

But I digress. One of the possibilities that traveling places is experience. And I love that. I love seeing new places and meeting the locals. Because of this love of experience, I am an avid hotel room literature reader. The first thing I do when I get in a hotel is grab the booklet and flip through to see what is what. Which is how I learned that, hot or cold, Tucson will not make it on my list of places to go back to.

I wish I had taken a picture, but in truth I was too horrified by what I found in my hotel room booklet to do so. What frightened me so? Well pardon the inane girliness I will reveal with this divulgence, but there was this card with this picture of a huge, hairy, red scorpion, and instructions on what do if you found one... in.your.room.

Bugs don't bother me much. I don't want them on me, or crawling towards me, but otherwise, live and let live. Spiders make my skin crawl. Scorpions have to be the worst. To me, they are like spiders with a built in spear and they just look pissed off ALL THE TIME.

So, for the feint of heart and bug hating in the world, if you jones for Arizona, which is wize because it is amazing, I suggest going to Williams. Its an hour from the Grand Canyon, on Route 66, has a restuarant with cow-shaped menus, and no one mentioned scorpions to me when I was there.

2 comments:

  1. It was only after I came back from my two-week Route 66 road trip and someone said to me, "wait, you were camping by yourself in the desert? What about the snakes and scorpions?" that I even thought about these two things. I'm from a city on the east coast. We don't have scorpions. And the snakes we have are little garden snakes that hurt exactly nobody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents lived in Phoenix, and they told us stories about scorpions, but I never saw one when we visited them. I can't believe there was a card like that in the hotel room. I would have freaked out too.

    ReplyDelete