Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A to Z Challenge: My Favorite Storytellers-- U

Since Q stumped me, if you were worried about U, you worried in vein. Because I have a U writer I LOVE, and that is...

Ursula LeGuin

In the seventh grade, I read "The Wife's Story." It is one of my first memories of reading a book and thinking "how the heck did this writer do THAT?" with my mouth gaping.

Like Octavia Butler, Ursula LeGuin has helped blaze a path for genre writers (outside of romance) of the female persuasion. And she is immensely talented. Where Butler structures stories like parables, LeGuin pulls in many of the social sciences in as themes.

Any LeGuin fans? Or any other amazing female science fiction writers I should know about?

2 comments:

  1. I will certainly learn about her. Your ""how the heck did this writer do THAT?" question reminds me of how I reacted to
    E. L. Doctrow's book "Welcome to Hard Times." I was blown away by his ability to write character he could not possibly have experienced. I want to read more from writer's who can do that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a couple of her books and I really enjoyed them and will read more when I have the time. I think she lives about 25 miles from me?

    ReplyDelete