Friday, April 6, 2012

A to Z Challenge: My Favorite Storytellers-- F

My first cheat! There are too many last names starting with A, B, C, M, and S, so I am cheating a bit and featuring a few A to Zers based on first name.

First up:

F. Paul Wilson

During my teen years, I went through a horror kick, reading a lot of Stephen King, trying out Dean Koontz, and discovering an amazing, under-appreciated writer called F. Paul Wilson.

I got to F. Paul Wilson through a weird chain of events. My Dad loves this wonderful actor named Scott Glenn (dude has purple eyes-- for sure). Scott Glenn is also under-appreciated, and therefore not in enough movies, so at some random moment my Dad stumbled on this movie called The Keep and rented it because Scott Glenn was in it. The movie was the definition of bad B movies, but being a lover of bad horror movies, I of course adored it.

Flash forward two years, I am trolling the book table at a flea market while on vacation in Maine and I discover the The Keep was actually based on a book by some guy called F. Paul Wilson. So I bought it, read it, and LOVED it!

I am far outside of my horror book phase, but I still periodically pick up The Keep and re-read it. The book is about Nazi soldiers taking over a medieval keep that has an odd construction. The soon realize that the keep was not built to keep something out, but rather to keep something in. And they are trapped inside.

It's a really fun read-- I highly recommend.

Any other horror writers I should know about?

2 comments:

  1. I, too, had a middle school horror obsession and that one sounds great! I will have to watch for it--maybe my library has it.

    Glad you stopped by today! This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like the episode of Dr. Who I just watched the other night. I love writers that can get you so twisted you can't figure out the up from the down. Not to mention they do it seamlessly and flawlessly.

    You know, the kind you want to shake! Why can't I do that? LOL

    Great post.

    And man...I love Scott Glenn!

    ReplyDelete