Monday, August 30, 2010

Back from hiatus...

Hello all.

I want to apologize for the lengthy gap between my last blog entry and this one. I’ve had a lot on my plate. Quite frankly, I still do, but I also feel that, as someone who wants my book to be read, I should be able to commit to sharing a blog more regularly.

So, why has my plate been so full? I lost my mother on August 13. There isn’t much more I am yet able to say about it. This isn’t a forum for me expressing grief, nor is it appropriate for me to try and work out some of what I am thinking/feeling here. Thus, though it is trite and not at all fitting, I will simply say “it is what it is” and assure everyone that I am working through this incredibly difficult time privately.

And, back to my true aim here—to spread and share my love of the story!

About a month ago, I bought a new copy of an old favorite. This was a book I read two or three times during my early teen years—I am sure I would not have been allowed to do so if my parents actually knew the content. Rereading it has been invigorating and created such a whimsical nostalgia in me. The feeling I get from returning to these pages alone has been enough to push me (albeit slowly) through the 1100 pages of this tome. However, I have been very pleased to find that the book contains as much appeal for me as an adult as it did when I was 12. Perhaps this book is even more appealing now that I actually understand some of the “adult content.”

If you have not yet found the time, I encourage everyone (over the age of 16!!!) to pick up Stephen King’s It. Most of you probably know the premise—a scary clown terrorizes the young residents of a Maine town until a band of seven kids band together to stop it. Thirty years later, when It returns, they do as well to try and end its reign for good. King isn't typically a favorite of mine. I actually thoroughly enjoy his books, and have read many of them, but he isn't on my list of "all-time favorites" as his style just isn't what I am typically most drawn to. It, however, is the exception.

The book is about a lot of things (you can cover a lot in 1100 pages), but some of my favorite themes are perhaps those that many people would read over or disregard. I am in awe of how intricately King weaves such a frightening and powerful story, and how, if you dig just below the surface, you will find the book rife with really beautiful and compelling lessons. Pervasive throughout the book is the power of belief, be it in the monster in the sewer, or the power of friendship. King teaches in the book that belief is crucial and potent, and I love the idea. This goes hand in hand with an emphasis on fate—both that it exists, but also that it is within your control. I know it seems conflicted. Characters in the book are destined to do this or that, but yet maintain the power to affect change on their situation. I like the duality.

It’s a good read, but definitely a commitment given the length. I have been grateful for the chance to dwell within my own past, and find re-reading it as an adult definitely gives me perspective on if and when you can ever go back to childhood, either in place or in state of mind.
There is much to look forward to this fall, and I am focusing on it with maniacal intent. We are now only two months away from the publication of Max and Menna. I am truly amazed at how fast these past several months have flown by, and am very much looking forward to promoting the book when it is a tangible thing!

Also, this fall, a new season of my second favorite t.v. show (True Blood being the first) premiers. All of you ghost story fanatics should join me in my excitement to see what Paranormal State has to offer when (dreamy man) Ryan Buell is at the helm as executive producer. Ryan’s first book comes out in September. I am contemplating braving another potential foot-in-the-mouth moment to go to his book signing party. We shall see.

And last but not least, some amazing movies on the line up for this fall. Tron is on my must-see-over-and-over list. Stay tuned. I will keep on sharing amazing stories as I come across them.

For now, my advice to everyone in Baltimore is this: Get to Joe’s Squared this week for the special skins. Roasted eggplant and feta. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment